Good morning Autumn!
Today is the first day of Fall! It is a beautiful morning here, the leaves are turning color and falling. I had such a wonderful walk this morning.
I thought I would share some of my favorite cool things to do with the family in the fall:
- Go to a local pumpkin patch and pick your own pumpkins and squash. Our local patch even has hay-rides, haunted house and a canteen with lots of crafts and baked goodies to buy too! Try out a few squash or pumpkin recipes if you never have. My kids favorites are spaghetti squash and anything pumpkin.
- Visit an apple orchard and pick your own! While you are there, this is also a great spot for a lifestyle photo shoot! Or they usually have goodies to try like apple cider, apple sauce, apple butter or baked apple treats! Maybe have a fall picnic too.
- Go through a corn maze. We used to play in the cornfields all the time when I was a kid and I have taken mine to our local corn mazes. It is so much fun!
- Have a fall bonfire before winter sets in with hot dogs, marshmallows, hot chocolate, and blankets to cozy up in. My kids love to do this even in the winter and -40 C below!!!
- One of my favorites is to go on a fall leaves hike or drive. Something I need to try this year is to bring fall themed snacks and drinks to add to the fall theme.
- Another favorite is to take my camera on a fall photo shoot and take some family photos for those Christmas cards! I know you see a theme here. I am a photographer too, so I am all about those photos!
- There will be leaves to rake and the best part of that is when you get to Jump into the leaves. The kids love this and it always brings back all those childhood memories for me! The kids also love it when you reminisce about the good old days with them!
- Do a fall marathon! I am going to do a small one this weekend with my daughter.
- Listen to the sounds of fall as you sit beside a river or lake. Remember to bring a thermos of something hot and a warm blanket to wrap up in.
- Enjoy the weather and colors of fall by going out and supporting your local high school football team! It would mean a lot to those kids! Grab a blanket and thermos of cocoa and show your own kids how to support your community. I know our local hockey and football teams have a night where the price of entry is non-perishables that get donated to the food bank. Teach by example! Kids learn best by seeing and doing.
- Family Thanksgiving Dinners! Play some flag football or go for a nice walk or fall scavenger hunt and work off that dinner!
- Check out those haunted houses! We have a few local ones and the kids love going to them.
There are so many more things that you can do inside or outside in the fall but these are just a few favorites. They are all about making memories and maybe you’ll start some new family traditions!
Such a beautiful morning for a walk and watch the leaves fall!